Home Page > Oban Station
Oban station is the terminus of the line. One year after opening, the line between the station and Oban Goods Junction was doubled. Oban was one of two locations on the line where a signal gantry was installed. The station was enlarged in 1904 and the signal box replaced. The signal box's lever frame was reduced in size from 64 to 48 levers following layout simplification carried out in 1969. The signal box closed in 1982 when No Signalman Key Token working was introduced on the section from Taynuilt.
Col. Marindin (Board of Trade) reported on his inspection in connection with the extension of the line from Dalmally to Oban. There was a signal cabin with 21 levers and a frame with 3 levers. There were Tyer's new instruments for electric block working but these were not at the time installed and should be re-inspected when brought into use. An electric repeater was required for the distant signal and levers 14 and 20 should be interlocked. Signals were required at no.15 points for running up to Nos. 1 and 2 Platforms and a gong was also required for communicating with the frame. Opening was refused due to incompleteness of work.
Board of Trade re-inspection. Opening was sanctioned but a speed restriction of 20 m.p.h. was imposed from the signal cabin down to the station.
Line opened between Dalmally and Oban. Signal box opened.
New tablet instruments inspected by Board of Trade and reported without comment.
Later that year, it was reported that the tablet instruments referred to above now had additions, with two sets of instruments at each station, one set of round and one set of octagonal tablets, all lettered for the section applicable. There was the usual undertaking for the train staff system.
Line doubled to Oban Goods Junction. (2 May?)
Col. Marindin (Board of Trade) reported on his inspection of the alterations completed on 2 May 1881. He reported that 800 yards of single line had been converted to double, which had effected a great improvement. Only one line inside the station was for arrivals but both platforms were signalled for departures. There were 18 working levers in the signal box, correctly interlocked.
Col. Marindin (Board of Trade) reported on his inspection, finding that the only alteration affecting the passenger lines was the removal of a crossing of the junction of the goods line to the pier for a few feet from its former position.
Lt. Col. Yorke (Board of Trade) reported on his inspection in connection with alterations at Oban Goods Junction. He also reported inspecting the signalling of the arrival platforms also for departure as well as arrival. The signal cabin contained 24 levers, all in use.
Station extended and signal box replaced (new box 37 yards north of old box). New signal bridge installed.
Lt. Col. Yorke (Board of Trade) reported on his inspection of two new platform lines to the west of the existing lines, with a new signal box with 55 working and 7 spare levers and 2 spaces. There were also two ground frames, one with 4 levers and the other with 2. The lock between levers 36 and 14 in the box required to be adjusted; otherwise the interlocking was correct.
|Oban Station (1904)|
Signal bridge renewed.
|Oban Station (1955)|
Down Distant signal replaced.
Carriage siding removed.
Alterations associated with the closure of Oban Goods Junction signal box.
Down distant signal repositioned.
Down distant signal repositioned.
Tablet instrument (for section to Taynuilt) replaced by key token instrument.
|Oban Station (1976)|
No.2 Platform line temporarily put out of use.
Layout remodelled and all movements handsignalled.
New connection from single line to oil depot siding, worked by 2-lever ground frame released by section token.
Signal box closed and layout simplified. No-signalman key token working introduced.